Wednesday, August 7, 2013

trip to sequoia ch. 25- a new start

Ch25
A New Start





     The next morning found Ann and Lee up early as Ann said the night before that she had a surprise. So
when Ann stirred around in the morning, Lee just went ahead and was out of bed as he too was interested in what Ann said she would offer in the way of an explanation at breakfast. All Lee knew was that she received a phone call and that she talked to this person away from him so that he couldn't hear. He knew she was up to something, he just couldn't tell what it was and with Ann you didn't ask very many questions, you just kinda went along with the program. Which he did .
    Ann hurried around the kitchen and started some breakfast making French toast for all, coffee was poured and light chit chat with some verbal sparring seemed to be the course of things as we went about our wake up routine. We had finished our breakfast and moved to the back porch overlooking the river and we were finishing our coffee for the day when Ann finally announced what all the secrecy was about.
    Ann said to Lee first.” Hope you won’t be upset but I took the liberty to get us back on the road.”
   Lee asked her , “And how did you do that dear? “  
  “You know me and my ways, I just get it done, yesterday I went looking for another RV to use to finish the trip we had started.  I found one at Dealing Dan’s in Marietta and he is supposed to deliver it this morning in fact almost anytime he is supposed to be here. We might want to make some room in the driveway or at least figure out where it will sit till we are ready to leave it is a little big. “
     She had both of our attention and Lee asked before I did as my curiosity was aroused also.
    “What is a little big dear?” Lee asked.
     Ann said.” How about twenty eight foot long, oh and I forgot to mention the car behind it also, and of course both are automatic. No longer am I going to be left out of the driving thing.” She laughed.
    I looked at Lee and he just shrugged his shoulders as there really was nothing to do but go along with Ann when she was on a roll , and she was rolling now . I let Lee do the questioning after all it affected him the most as it was his woman and he did a good job at asking the questions I wanted answers to myself.
    Ann went on to say” I have all kinds of money just begging to be spent and really don’t want to sit on my laurels waiting on an insurance settlement to get on with this again. I also kinda looked forward to us finally getting on the road with this thing till we got hit in the rear. It was outside my box so to speak, living on the edge, not knowing what was coming for sure. Having the flexibility to enjoy all we could. We could do that with the van as I intended to spend a few nights in the van as we went along. And now Guy,   with this new RV I have more than enough room to bring you along as you are our most dearest friend and I and I am sure Lee want you to go along. You can help drive to.”
   “Of course guy come along? Won’t you? “ Lee pleaded.
    I asked. “But who is going to take care of the dogs?”
   And Ann said “They can come along now.”
    “So what is it you bought dear that is twenty eight feet long?  Surely not one of those huge Gulf Stream Road Warriors you were talking about before? “
       “Exactly what I bought dear, this time when someone hits us in the rear they are going to know they hit something. And there is more to what I have figured out for us since we tried it your way.
      “I love the idea of the trip and climbing in the trees is more than exciting to me, so I am determined as you are to see the Sequoias and finally be able to climb up in them. But I also have another thing burning in my mind and that is what I am going to do with all this money. It is earning a small amount of interest compared to the taxes I am going to have to pay , so we are going to buy property, wherever until I have used up most of my money . This property will be set aside for future generations to use as they see fit. Until then it will be put in a trust and people may use as it is, but will not be allowed to build, hunt or develop in any way, any part of the land. So how much will 325 million buy?  Or whatever the number is today as I never keep track, think we can do some good with this Lee?”
    Lee was flabbergasted and finally he asked again slowly and for effect.  “So the RV is for going around and inspecting land to be set aside after we finish our trip?”
    Ann said. “Sure we don’t just want to buy any old land we want the best of the best. Also it needs to have all the mineral rights. Being a Gunnite I know how important it is to buy the mineral rights and since I am preserving the land in its natural state I don’t want any oil, gas or coal mining company to tell me what is best for the land . If it isn’t developed already then it will just have to wait. This is my money now and I know what I want, and I don’t have to ask my brothers anything. “
     “Wow.” Lee said, and then continued ,” This is big and yes I was wondering what you were going to do , this alone could be a full time job just checking things out and you do have a sizable amount of money to spend and for what better purpose. Besides that will only make what land is left more valuable. And in twenty, thirty, or even a hundred years, just think what that will mean. Wow Ann that is great.” and Lee jumped to his feet and gave Ann a hug and a kiss and told her he loved her.  I also congratulated her as it sounded like a fine thing she was doing, not only for humanity but also for nature. Wow I was impressed.
       “Hope you saved a little for us in your budget?” Lee laughed.
        Ann says, “Of course silly have a couple of mil I tucked away before I received my portion of Gunnite. Oh and by the way there is more” as she was startled by her cell phone as it started to ring she looked at the screen and as she smiled and said to us , “You had better find room in the driveway for the new car also . I bought us a car, an economy minded one to boot, to add on to the rear of the Gulf Stream, to shuttle us around from the RV parks dear. That was Dealing Dan and he will be here in ten minutes with them both. I looked at Lee. Then  Lee and I arose to see where we could park the thing till they were ready to leave.
      I said. “She is really into surprises isn't she?”
      Lee said.” You don’t know the half of it.”
       Lee hobbled with me around the corner of the house to see Dealing Dan and the Road Warrior thundering up the drive. He just pulls the Road Warrior into my front lawn and shuts it off then as we went around this behemoth  so we could see the new Ford Escape tied on behind. Ann had finally caught up with us as we stood there with our mouths open catching flies.
      All I could say is,”Wow, money does talk apparently!”
      With that a button was pushed from somewhere within, then the stoop of the door extended and lowered automatically, as other noises occurred almost instantaneously. The Gulf Stream began to level itself, then the swoosh of new car smell escaped and was instantly detected by all present  as the door opened , and out stepped dealing Dan.  With a big shit eating grin spread all over his face as he just finished one tremendous deal.
     Then he says” Howdy y’all I’m dealing Dan. “


(author's note: it is in manuscript form sorry , damn puters.) 
                                           

No comments: