Friday, August 16, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch. 29 cont.

Ch.29 (cont.)





        The rolling hills of Richland County, green and resplendent with early summer growth reminded me of a saying I heard once. There are seven different greens in Ohio at any given time as compared to New Mexico where you have seven different shades of brown; I truly believe this to be so. And here in Richland County it is no exception. In early summer depending on the weather and light one can easily see that many different shades. I would miss my green if I lived in New Mexico very long as the only way you can enjoy very much green is to water it and make it yourself.
     I went ahead and drove and Ann sat in front with me having called dibs over Lee who was forced to ride in the back with Susie and Babe, since I knew where I was going. Babe and Susie took turns at the open window hanging their head out and enjoying the breeze till one or the other felt slighted and then would hog their way in and force the other out. Occasionally they would try and steal Lee’s open window, at which point he would shove them away and then they would compete again for the one open window. I would miss my Babe as I am sure they are going to miss Susie but it was for the best they stayed. Dogs have very little recognitive ability and are unaware they are even taking a trip, so feel little more excitement than they do say getting their butt scratched. In fact if dogs could talk that is one thing they would pick over a trip any day is a good butt scratching. So besides their apparent loss of you in their life and the regular gravy train, dogs would hardly knew you were gone. So taking them along would only cause hardship on both you and the dog. It also limits you in what you can see and do. Since Lee and Ann were going to be climbing in the Sequoias, then we would be spending some time in the woods. Also I doubt if Babe or Susie are very bear savvy having never encountered them before. So at their age and having bluffed a lot of animals they could very easily be eaten because of their nonsense, and cause you to be eaten by a pissed off bear. Think it is better to just leave them home, or at least a close proximity to home.
      We turned up the tree covered drive to Bobby and Sue’s farm and parked under an old oak with a tire swing. Bobby and Sue had no kids but still enjoyed the swing from time to time as Bobby who was too big for it would push Sue and just enjoy themselves. Countless kids who would visit the farm would also use the old tire swing, and at times it seemed to be the most popular activity on the farm.
     Bobby and Sue owned a two story classic white farm house set back off the road probably built in the late 1800’s with modern updates such as running water and thermo pane windows. A few of my carvings adorned their yard as I love to come and visit and reminisce about old times with Bobby and Sue. I would bring them a carving and spend a night or two and just enjoy the area and Sue’s famous homemade bread which I could smell now as I approached their porch.
     Sue would always bake knowing I was coming and would have real butter and homemade apple butter to smear in gooey goodness all over a warm moist piece of her bread.  I could just make a meal out of that alone. Let alone the pies and jellies she would send home with me. I often told Bobby I could care less for him but given the chance and he ever tired of Sue I would be interested in her. He laughed and said she had you hooked with that damn bread thing too doesn't she. If I eat anymore I am going to look like the Pillsbury dough boy. We would all laugh.
      Bobby and Sue met us on the front porch and greeted us and I reintroduced them to Ann and Lee, who were coming up the walk enjoying the sights, along with  Susie and Babe who were already making themselves at home investigating the red chickens running around in the yard as they were  cackling and darting into the shrubs to avoid the dogs. Babe ran up on the porch and Bob’s border collie, Sadie, heard the noise and came around the corner sniffing the air sensing company. A melee of dog sorts occurred in front of our greeting as it required appropriate butt sniffing with quick turnarounds and a few growls when cold noises explored too far and bounds off the porch occurred much to the delight and laughter of everyone and everything involved till Bobby yelled to silence the madness.
    “Enough of this Sadie get out of here and take those two reprobates with you.”, again we all laughed as they hurried off to find Sadie’s hidden lairs and to share doggy news in ways dogs do. We all sat on the wide open porch that ran around the house and enjoyed lemonade of the real type, fresh squeezed with warm bread and butter, mingled with good conversation.
    I could have ended the trip there but had to ease Ann and Lee back out to the car after we kind of explained our itinerary to Bobby and Sue. All of it was based on Lee’s leg and how fast he healed. He was still limping and had a lot of redness but overall the leg looked better. I asked Bobby and Sue if worse came to worse would two months be too long to keep the dogs and Bobby said no, as Sue and himself were not planning a vacation till this fall.
     I asked Bobby.” Why in the world would you want to leave this area when you are in one of the most beautiful fall color viewing areas of the world?”
    “Well we are not that crazy about going then, but her family has a week long family reunion in upstate New York at the same time, and may need to bring Sadie to your place this year , as our regular sitter has passed away.”
     I said no problem.
    We talked for a while and headed to the car and said our goodbyes and I slipped them some money in an envelope that Ann had given me, that I never looked at and Ann assured me would take care of things . Bobby knew what it was and never looked at it either , but  I added if this isn't 
enough just yell and we will send you more. Bobby assured me it would be plenty.  Sue supplied us with a brown grocery bag full of more bread and jams, and some pickled whatever’s and we said good bye to the dogs after leaving their supplies and feeding instructions. We loaded ourselves into the Ford Escape and was soon heading out the lane waving out the window and I looked back to see Babe, Susie, and Sadie all standing beside Bobby and Sue as they waved. .
      Lee had replaced Ann in the front seat and I looked in the rear view mirror and saw Ann crying. I nudged Lee in the seat beside me to take a look behind him.  
     Lee said. “Whatever is wrong Ann?”
     Ann said , “Oh just woman things you know. We kind of short circuit when we get to be my age. Guess it was leaving Susie behind. But I know it is for the better. I will be all right, just drive.”
     I don’t feel like it was just a woman thing as I too, felt the same way about Babe and it was hard to drive on but we did.
      We stopped and ate at an Amish restaurant and had more homemade bread and pan fried chicken oven baked till it fell off the bone and, then we headed back to the Wal-Mart ,opting to pass on a trip to Malabar farm as it required to much walking for Lee at this time. The Road Warrior stood as a lone sentinel in the parking lot as I drove up behind it and we prepared ourselves for the next leg of our trip to St. Louis and put some miles behind us. I inserted the key into the door of the Road Warrior and the foot step immediately came out to greet me with the turn of the key. We had left the generator on and the inside of the Road Warrior was cool and inviting as we stepped in. I threw the Ford Escapes keys onto the table and returned outside to hook up the Escape and check out the fluids on the Road Warrior while Ann and Lee readied themselves and relaxed in the comfort of the sofa. I came back in and they were already snoozing, their bellies full and magazines in their lap and TV blaring. I shut off the TV and looked at them snuggled together and it reminded me of how I used to have to take my stepson for a ride just to quiet him down from crying, and by the end of the trip he was sound asleep. So were Ann and Lee.
    I cranked up the Willie Nelson on the stereo and sat down in the driver’s seat and soon we were on the interstate putting those mile posts behind us listening to my DVD of Willie singing ‘On the Road Again.’


No comments: