Thursday, August 15, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch . 29 pleasant valley

Ch.29
Pleasant Valley


      The Road Warrior floated up the interstate like no one’s business and before I knew it I was heading past where the farm was I grew up on, that I had left for my river lot down south. We had no time to stop and stopping there would only make me sad as I had to leave a lot of memories  behind when I left there. People change and times change and circumstances change. It seemed as if all three hit me there and me at my age i just didn’t care to hang around and fight with my siblings over how things were to be divided ,  but opted instead to get away from the hassle of it all and make my own new life somewhere else. And I did in Stockport. I have always loved Stockport as it had this mill that at one time served as the center of grain grinding for the region. They would grind flours of wheat, rye, and barley and then load it in barrels and ship it down the Muskingum river , then down the Ohio river to who knew where then . Steamboats plying north on the river would take it to Pittsburg  and points east, or barges and flat boats, or again a stern wheeler would take it south or west. The Ohio Erie canal would allow them to take it north to lake Erie , then via the Erie canal  to New York city on the Hudson river.
       At that time rivers and canals served as the main traffic source for major cities in the United States around the early 1800’s. Times change as I said and now the mill is a restaurant which still sports its own hydroelectric plant to produce electricity for its own use from the same river that used to grind grain , and they use it there at the restaurant and hotel . Inside you can see old mill works used long ago by hands no longer with us today. It is a town filled with history and I love to walk its streets and love its small-town atmosphere and the people there. Then again I love the river that makes it all possible on many levels. The strength of the river , constantly moving hurrying on to new places carrying pieces jetsam and flotsam along with it to sometimes wedge up against a hunk of log along a river bank , or to be nudged as food by a big a fish from underneath. This jetsam and flotsam as they call it is the fluff of bubbles and trash that float along the surface of any running water way , and at times is a lot like the human life in many ways. We hurry along one path till we hit an  open water and then laze along as long as everything is OK until we hit a rough spot like a waterfall or a fork in a creek and then we bounce off things, until we hit deep water again  as you know runs still. This is our life in an anecdote where we sometimes we find land and lodge ourselves against it and sometimes we get eaten by bigger fish but it is all symbolic of who we are as the stuff just passes before our eyes. I just love to sit and watch the raw power of the river as you can almost hear it moving in front of you. Thousands and soon millions of gallons pass before your eyes. Rivers offer you freedom as a lake is closed to exploring , but at my river lot I could go to the Gulf of Mexico,  and never hit dry ground with my pontoon or as far north as Pittsburg. Try doing that in a round lake. Not that I have never made that trip but maybe someday I will as I want my ashes spread in my watershed back home so that one day I too may also make that trip, or at least my ashes will when nature does its thing and washes me into a nearby creek and then my trip will begin in spirit if not in form.
     Bobby and Sue’s farm was actually south of Mansfield,  around the Loudonville area where another author who inspired me to write, wrote several books of his own about farming. And that was Louis Bromfield. He wrote ‘Pleasant Valley' and several other conservation books as well as some fiction books.  He lived and wrote from his farm, using his farm as showplace for his conservation techniques,  in an era of the dust bowl days as he pointed to the errors of modern farming in those days. He was best known for his biggest blunder which was bringing the Multiflora Rose from Europe to the United States and specifically Ohio. They soon became a nuisance as they spread like wildfire around our region . \Even myself I have cursed the Multiflora many a times seeing animals trapped in its snare of branches unable to penetrate any deeper, only being cut by the multitude of thorns one finds on these bushes. They do provide wildlife with an impenetrable haven when used as a nesting area but, can lacerate within seconds anything tangled in its web. The berries when eaten by birds were carried to other parts and then scattered through their digestive system and end up as new bush elsewhere. This was the problem as they were prolific and spread all across the state of Ohio leading to an eradication program where they actually paid farmers to kill the bushes by using an herbicide specifically designed for them. Myself I find them only to be a mild nuisance and when brushhogged or finally beaten down can be used as a source of organics for enriching the soil where they stood. No big deal and the slurs hurled at Mr. Bromfield are  totally unfounded as he was just trying to make this world a better place. They have since turned his farm into a museum ran by the state. It is always a pleasant visit for me allowing me to learn a little more about the man who was my mentor in ways.
      I ran into Bobby and Sue there on the farm years ago as he was the caretaker of the farm. Sue was the bee keeper then and they both lived in this glorious log cabin that once was owned by a telephone company executive and still is there today. It had this gorgeous brass chandelier that hung from the vaulted ceiling giving the place a certain ambiance of hominess one doesn't often encounter. The huge brass rings of the chandelier contained translucent opals and semi-precious stones that would allow light to pass through and show off their subdued creamy colors unlike anything one would see normally. We would spend hours at their place fishing in the huge pond beside the cabin and just relaxing. Then at supper we would fire up the grill in the party house, and fry up some fish and veggies and sit down and  eat in the smell of the pine forest that surrounded the place.  
     Sure hated seeing Bobby lose that job. The perks were unbelievable. Bobby was the one that told me all about Louis Bromfield in the first place as Bobby was also a conservationist and very smart guy I went to college with when I attended Ohio State University at ATI  in Wooster, Ohio. Sue taught me how to handle bees and at one point while helping her I had bees all over me on my bare skin and I was like in nirvana as best I could explain it. I pushed myself to be calm to not let the bees know I was scared. To have the confidence that if one stung me I would just let it be. And I did, as I stood there with both arms covered and her scooping more on me as if to test my resolve . They were everywhere including the only protection I had which was the head mask I wore for protection of my face. I was subdued and confident and with over thousands of bees on me never was stung once. It was an experience I will never forget but always wanted to repeat, but never had the opportunity to. Bees are one the most amazing and beneficial insects one could study if you have the chance. Yet are so necessary to our survival as a human race. We cannot live without them or it may be awful hard  to if something should happen to them
     There was no beekeeping in the program or planting trees as we needed to drop off the dogs and get moving. We had planned on driving all night , taking turns at the wheel and trying to put some miles behind us as we headed for St, Louis. Bobby’s house was the first stop and so we wheeled into the Wal-Mart parking lot in Mansfield  and unhooked the Ford Escape to finish hauling  the dogs to the farm knowing the lane leading to Bobby’s farm was narrow and not knowing where or how to turn the behemoth Road Warrior around , we decided to just take the Escape and leave the Road Warrior behind.




No comments: