Saturday, August 3, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch. 23 - time for mending

Ch.23
Time for Mending

     I awoke the next morning after bringing them back to my place and as far as I knew they were still sleeping in the little house. I looked in that direction and saw nothing stirring as sometimes Lee would get up early and stand by the river bank or sit in a chair out there and just listen to sounds of the morning. With fish flopping and ducks chattering, birds a singing, it was a pleasant noise I could never get enough of. But then it is more here than other places around me, as I seem to be the only one feeding for miles around. I always felt if you fed the birds then you will have less insects and the same goes for bats, as I build and sell build bat houses as  they consume 6 times their weight in bugs nightly. This all results in guano and bird poop but keeping the feeders in an open location away from the house helps in that department.  Yet still in sight will offer you year round enjoyment of being able to enjoy the variety of birds that will frequent the feeders. I can go through a 50 pound bag of bird feed weekly. An expense, but one I gladly enjoy as I love to hear the sounds of birds in the morning over traffic any day.
      As I looked out my window a  fog was just starting to lift off the river and was kind of dreamy looking as I sometimes imagine what  it is like to be walking in the clouds when it is like this , yet still have my feet on the ground. Us dreamers are like that.
      A dreamer can be a negative connotation at times. Women want men who depend on solid facts as way of life. Well I am first to say reality sucks at times. The reality of being alone is something I never imagined in all my years of relationships. It was reality that usually ended them anyway. Finding out the one you had trusted to be there with you always is no longer with you. Or say the one you writing to who promised you, you wouldn’t be sorry till you met her in person, then you were sorry. Reality sucks. I would rather live in my dream world of optimism that I can be happily ever after, even if I have to do it alone. At least I know there is always that chance I may meet that one woman who will make it happen for me. Leanne was that woman I felt I could fall in love with and at some point I did, but unfortunately she didn’t feel the same way.
     I still look for the woman of my dreams , but in the meantime I will build a place for her and unfortunately it will have to be my way as I don’t know yet what the woman I will meet will like or not like.’ Build it and they will come’ is a phrase from a movie that resonates deeply in my soul as I continue to push on with an positive flair, thinking the love of my life is just down at the store, or waiting on a boat dock somewhere for me to come home . A kiss and a slow walk to the house as I wrap my arm around here and we walk as alone side by side may be a dream . Reality sucks again as Lee and Ann can be a reminder as to how I need to move on with that dream and find that woman before it is to late. I just need someone like lee has to mend my soul and make my dreams come true.
      The coffee was done and I sat down to my puter and logged in and checked my messages. Nothing important. I heard Susie and then Babe barked and then I knew Lee and Ann were stirring in the little house and it would just be minutes before they would be at my place so I arose and started some breakfast. Omelets for all, as I began dice fresh onions and saute them in a frying pan. I had red and green peppers frozen and added them to the pan. The smells of fresh food cooking caught Ann and Lee by surprise as they entered the house . Lee was hobbling and looked even more stiff and Ann kinda looked a bit wore this morning also but still we greeted and smiles replaced their worried faces and cups of coffee poured seemed to make the difference in their attitude.
    “Didn’t realize I hurt in so many places, as  my neck and my back seem so stiff.” She says.
    Lee says. “Yes my leg is killing me Ann ,do you have my medicine I think I am going to take a few extra today?”
   “Here dear.” she says as she digs into her purse and takes out a medicine bottle, and then continues. “You think maybe we need to go to the hospital or find a doctor to check your leg out.
   Lee said. “I looked under the bandages and it is still looking normal. No additional swelling or redness.  Sorry I’m being such a puss when it comes to this thing hurting. “
    I said to them when someone hits you in the rear, first you have to worry about whiplash syndrome, and that you really don’t feel right away like in Ann’s case as it is usually a day or two before you notice the full effect. Usually the other insurance company gets in touch with you during that time t try and settle before you feel the full effect. So both of you are going to feel like crap for a couple of days after the beating you took. How many times does one get nailed in the rear like that with a semi and be able to walk away. Worst part is you probably had your foot on the brake when he hit you so the impact would be greater as your vehicle wouldn't move on its own without the weight and momentum of the truck pushing you through that intersection. You are so lucky you didn't have another car coming through that intersection and hit you in the side while you were sliding through the intersection. Wow is that lucky or what. “
    Lee says. “Yes we are but please guy quit reminding me , I don’t feel real lucky now. “
   “Are you still going on your trip?” I asked of both and Ann spoke up.
    “I want to and I’m sure Lee feels the same and he nodded in agreement. We just figured we would lay up here a few days and enjoy your company until Lee can move his leg well enough to continue and possibly get his stitches out , then we are going to get another vehicle  and continue. We don’t have time to redo another van as we are determined to make it out to California before wintertime in the mountains. So we need to come up with something else. I want a Gulf Stream Road Warrior and we can tow a Hummer behind it and if the morons hit us at least they too are also going to get screwed up. Also that will leave a lot of metal between the rear of the vehicle and us to crush not like the V.W. van, also no engine in the rear to catch fire.”
      Lee offered his opinion and said. “My idea is to rent a car or a small SUV and just do accommodations at the local hotels and motels across the country. A small trailer towed behind is probably the most efficient means of travelling. But then that requires more advance planning and a tight adherence to the schedule, as rooms will be booked. But then Ann will have all creature comforts . This was similar to what we were going to do. I like the idea of adding a trailer to the mix as it will soften the blow and give us more room in the vehicle so if we wanted to spend a night in the SUV if we still wanted to.  Then we could still do it without moving a bunch of bags and boxes as these will all be in the trailer. The Road Warrior offers the versatility of sleeping anywhere including a Wal Mart parking lot. But then again the SUV with the trailer offers the same flexibility to a degree. Awwww coffee and drugs has me  going on like there is  no tomorrow I almost forgot I hurt.”
     Ann says to him. “ Let me have a few of those pain pills I don’t feel you sentiment .”
     Lee offered her a couple and Ann laid on the couch to let them take effect for a few till breakfast was ready. I cooked and listened to Lee as he explained how Ann was all upset at the accident , and called the truck driver everything but a white man , and a good thing because he was of African American origins and might have taken offense to it. They did check his cell phone to see if he was using it when he hit them . He claimed he wasn't, but the officers in charge refused to tell either Ann or himself if he was. Likewise they also checked Ann and Lee’s cell phone  but they were talking to each other so it wasn't a problem as well they were sitting waiting on the light to change and were at a full stop when he hit them. But all in all it was an accident and now it time for the lawyers and  insurance adjusters to go to work and sort it all out. .
    Ann laid  on the  couch as lee and I sat and talked while I finished breakfast , then we called for Ann and she ate with us and then Lee  and her went back over to the little house and laid down for a while. To try and unwind from all that went on the last two days.


        

No comments: