Monday, August 5, 2013

trip to sequoia ch. 24 on again

Ch.24
On Again





         Ann was up and moving and had come over to my place early and started breakfast. Hearing her up early and moving around in my house aroused my curiosity as I wondered what she was up to, so I too got up.
       “Good morning sunshine.” She said to me.
    “Wow! What has you up and moving so early?” I said.
     “She said I wanted to get an early start and I feel a lot better as I have rid myself of that headache and my neck feels better. Think I am going to pass on that trip to the hospital to check my neck out. Looks like Lee’s leg is better. I need to borrow your Hummer and head into town after breakfast and pick up a few things. If ok with you guy?”
        I said, “No problem I have the pontoon boat and Lee’s F-150. Still haven’t learned to shift a manual transmission I see?”
    Ann said, “And I doubt I ever will something about teaching old dogs new tricks . in my case I guess it would be old bitches new tricks.”
       I laughed and said Ann” I doubt you are ever an old bitch but maybe you know better.”
      Ann said. “Thanks I guess, kind of an off handed compliment wasn't it Guy? “
     “All right I will state that under no circumstance are you a bitch, but and it isn't a big butt,but still who am I to question your sound and sane judgment.” I laughed.
     Ann says. “Still no better Guy you had better quit while you are behind.” I laughed and Ann handed me a cup of coffee , and slid the milk to me cross the kitchen table  in my little cow creamer . I took the cow creamer and turned the black coffee a couple lighter shades.
    Ann asked. “Need a spoon?”
     I said. “No. and thank you. “
    Ann said, “For what?  Your coffee. “She laughed.
    Lee walked through the door and wondered what we were laughing about.
      Ann says. “Oh nothing just talking about you.” Then says.  “Just fooling.”
       Lee gave her a puzzled look and said. “She is in rare form this morning, like a fart in a whirl wind, she just jumped out of bed running and hasn’t stopped yet. In fact I am just catching up.”
    “I could tell from the banging of pans and the teakettle blowing something was up. So what’s going on Ann?” I said.
     Ann says. “I just have some things to do alone.” she says. And then continues, “So is there anything you need here Guy. Groceries other things, I can pick it up while I am out. Also I am going to cook us a good supper tonight. A campfire medley with peppers and onions as well as potatoes all cooked in tin foil over coals or on the grill either way it will be good. Going to try and find some ear corn. Should have some in the stores now from down south, sound good? “
       I said , “Yes haven’t had potatoes for awhile . And I don’t have any so you need to pick up some. “
      Ann asks” So does everyone want an omelet with all the fixings. ?”We both said yes as neither of us felt like cooking and besides Ann already had the fixings cooking and it smelled good. A blend of peppers and onions sautéed with garlic salt and pepper, also she had the hot pepper cheese out and at that point I let her go as she looked like she knew what she was doing.
      I asked, “Lee how about after breakfast let’s cruise up river and drown some worms. Like to just go cruising and when we find a good place just drop anchor and we will drift and fish if ok with you?”
    Lee said “Sure,  I was going to run a marathon, buuuttt,” but then he looked at his leg and his stitches were  looking better and continued, “just didn’t want to be the best dressed runner with all these fancy stitches I have. When was I supposed to get those out Ann? A week should be good huh, Guy?” Lee laughed.
      Ann said, “You know you are supposed to wait 10 days .”
    Lee laughed and says.” Guy and I will have those out in six, still have those vise grips handy Guy?”
      “I have a pair bull pinchers if you think we we need them Lee ?”
      Lee says.” Now Guy?”  As he queried his head sideways, “Why would I want those?”
     “Well in case we couldn't pull them out with the vice grips, might as well knock me in the head if you have to get those things out.” We all laughed, only Lee did nervously. We finished breakfast and loaded the boat grabbed some bait and saw Ann off with her list, as we boarded the boat and started up river. The early morning start on breakfast was good as the fog was still rising off the water. The lone boat plying its way up the river sending waves off the pontoons slowly lapping up against the shores causing a rush of waves, the whooshing sound of water rushing against the banks could be heard under the noise of the boat motor as it pushed us further upriver against the current. Ram shackle fishing huts and barrel docks punctuated the shores. Low hanging branches stretching over the river cast shade on the rushing waves. The sun climbed to burn down the fog. It was almost like a dreamy painting only the scene kept changing. We were headed up to Zanesville and we would have to lock through a couple of times.
          I had a feeling Ann was up to something and Lee knew for sure she was. All we had to do was fish and laze around till she was back. So we might as well fish.  
        I said to Lee “Did you ever hear the joke about the guy who was fishing down along the bank of the river and this guy came along and said?”
        ‘How’s the fishing there?’
        Anyhow the fisherman mumbled something under his breath  like this:
        ‘Mmmmwwwff  mm  !’
         Anyhow the stranger said.’ I am sorry sir what was that?’
        Again he received the same mumbled reply, totally unintelligible.
        Frustrated the stranger thought maybe this guy couldn’t talk and the fisherman seeing that the stranger was pitying him finally spit his night crawlers into the palm of his hand and asked the stranger.” Now how do you ever expect me to keep my worms warm?
     We both laughed at the lame joke as we cruised up the river.                                                                 

              

No comments: