Friday, August 23, 2013

trip to sequoia - ch. 33-road warrior goes stealth

Ch.33
Road Warrior Goes Stealth.






    I turned the Road Warrior on the exit ramp of the interstate and started heading up the ramp and I asked Lee if he would come up front and sit down and see if he could shut down the internet link and the satellite on this thing as we traveled. Once you have interstate directions it is pretty much three hundred  miles to here and hundred  miles to there. Thinking if I shut the satellite reception off then we will have that part disabled so no one could figure out our location. I explained this to Lee and encouraged Ann to shut off her cell phone as well. Lee and I planned on doing the same thing and this way if somebody is following us it will take a lot more travelling on their part to catch up with us if they are following our satellite or phone usage.
     Lee looked through the owner’s manual of the Road Warrior and found out how to disarm the security system on the Road Warrior and successfully disarmed it with a switch and this showed up on the screen. Next he attempted to shut off the satellite feed to the internet and tracking capabilities and then as he flipped the switch I lost power in the Road Warrior and I immediately yelled to lee
    “ Turn it back on.” as the road warrior was a tank without engine power to  run the power steering  and I was still running down the interstate. Then I was still losing power after he flipped it back on.  I thought to myself I needed to get this thing to the side of the interstate  quick . I glanced in the rear view mirror and the Road Warrior was slowing to a stop and I needed over off the berm. Luckily I was in the right lane so I just eased the hulk of the RV to the side of the road and hit my four way emergency lights, and hoped we wouldn't get rear ended by another vehicle . I still had a foot of the Escape on the rear of the Road Warrior still on the interstate when the road warrior stopped rolling. Immediately I shoved the transmission into park as now my hands were free and turned the ignition and it started back up. Traffic was light and they were making room for me  on the side of the road pulling over and giving me room ,  so I killed the 4 ways and pulled it into drive, turned on my left turn signal , gunned the engine and was rolling again ,as I  started the Road Warrior again out onto the interstate,  knowing we had flipped the wrong switch or something.
      Lee yelled at me, “ That isn't supposed to happen. “
      In the inside rear view I could see Ann’s face as during this melee as she was looking out the rear of the Road Warrior wondering when we were going to be hit and alternately exchanging scared glances with me in the driver’s seat and bracing herself  just in case. . Thankfully nothing happened and all it did was just rattle our nerves.
    Lee again said. “I am sure I have the right button.” As he scoured the pages of the owner’s manual, and then Ann joined  as they moved to the couch and they both checked the schematics and the explanation of each item on the breaker box and its intended purpose not knowing what was going on.  We decided to wait until we were not travelling down the road at sixty miles per hour before attempting something like this again. I agreed and I just couldn’t figure out why the satellite is keeping the Road Warrior running. What if we have a solar flare? Does that mean the Road Warrior is dead in its tracks wherever we happen to be? None of this made any sense that they would tie the vehicles performance to such a thing. I could understand them sending warnings and alarms indicating low oil pressure or how it was performing at certain times with fuel efficiency monitoring over the internet to a repair center and this information would be used to repair the Road Warrior if it needed it. But control of the engine while moving linked to a satellite wasn’t good.
  Any how we decided to wait till we reached a road side rest or an exit ramp and be off the interstate and not driving before attempting again. I figured while we still had internet that Ann and Lee could get on and see if Road Warrior had an internet site or forum for owners seeking answers and see what popped up in a situation similar to ours. .
      They hurried and were on within seconds and soon found a link and were explaining it to me as I drove along. It gave step by step instructions as to how to shut down the Road Warriors internet and satellite system so that it didn't affect the engine. And with this procedure you could do it while driving.
       I looked to my right as we were talking and in my rear view mirror and I see a white Vulcan motorcycle with a woman who closely resembled Leann passing me on my left  , I looked again and it sure enough looked like her but I didn't say anything to Lee and Ann because I wasn't quite sure . I pressed on the fuel pedal to try and get a closer look , but the Road Warrior with the Escape on the back was no match for her motorcycle and she was soon gone out of sight. It couldn't be I thought to myself, it wasn't that long since she had surgery. You mean she is out running already on her bike. No way could it be her.
     At the next road side rest I wheeled in and we sat there in the parking lot and with the engine running I tried different things and we finally were able to shut down the internet and satellite link and have the Road Warrior in a stealth mode. I decided to stroll on over to the visitors center and was checking the bikes out in the parking lot to see if I saw Leann’s bike and I didn't . I thought to myself what are the chances of two women riding the same bike and looking like each other? And I thought it would have to be good since so many more women have taken to riding their own bike and getting out from behind the idiots they are with. I tried riding motorcycles myself but could never understand why they call it freedom of the road when you are constantly worried about someone pulling out in front of you or a deer jumping in front of you, or a kid or a dog for that matter. Laying a bike down always hurts. I couldn't relax enough to enjoy it so finally just gave the idea up and resolved myself to putting around in my boats as a form of relaxation. I love it when Babe and I are cruising along the river and she just hangs her head over the side of the boat and she breathes in the world of aromas coming to her and looks like she is on some kind of high. High on life I guess. Anyhow I didn’t see Leann’s bike and soon joined Lee  and Ann as they cooked up an impromptu dinner in the parking lot of the rest area. After dinner I started the Road Warrior and soon we were moving down the exit ramp. Our cell phones off and now we were in stealth mode, and time to put some distance between us and this spot. Hopefully leaving whoever is behind us a cold trail to follow.
       That sighting of what I though was Leann just seemed to haunt me as I crossed one state border then the next we went north and passed through Wichita and then turned back on to I-70 and headed west to Denver. It was dark now as we left the RV place in late afternoon and I had been driving nonstop. . In Denver I refueled and we headed north out of Denver on I-25 and soon we were pulling off to an RV campsite at Glendo State Park in Glendo, Wyoming. It seems as if they have this big huge beautiful lake and are within close distance of Mt. Rushmore. So we decided to make this our layover point. We had put in around 875 miles according to the MapQuest directions and Ann was in the back of the RV asleep as  Lee and I took turns driving to put in over twelve  hours to make it this far. We were glad to see the sign for the turn off into the Glendo RV Center and as we pulled into our lot I felt a sense of relief. This was a long trip and we did put some miles between us and our last stop. Surely anyone following would have a hard time keeping up with us. Especially Leann if by some strange chance she was dogging me. I doubted it was her though. Within minutes we had the RV set up. It was morning but I needed sleep bad and so did Lee as we drove all night to get here. Everything went flawlessly and tomorrow we will be at Mt. Rushmore. One more item of my bucket list to see.

       



No comments: