Thursday, September 5, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch. 37 cont.

Ch. 37 (cont.) 


      The Eureka Inn featured a lounge dining area and has been a feature of that area for some time. A native wood interior trimmed out and polished over the years created a charm that would intrigue presidents and dignitaries as they visit the United States and sample its offerings of food and hospitality. Some of its world charm is thanks to the old world craftsman who work in exquisite detail to fine tune all the different aspects of construction to make this place a museum piece as well as a working restaurant  and inn.
    As Darla and me were ushered into the lobby and then pointed to the restaurant, one could see the massive beams from local forests used to construct the large dining area featuring a large fireplace in the main room of the restaurant where we were seated. It is my understanding that he fireplace was rebuilt after a 2010 earthquake requiring the removal of almost 75 tons of debris and complete reconstruction of the chimney. The Eureka Inn is registered as a national historical building of significance. One could easily see why, as this  grandiose place must have been the center of activity as travelers making their way north or south along the coast would seek out the Eureka in for its unbridled comfort.
    Darla and I were seated in a wood booth providing us with some privacy as we dined. A choice of seafood obtained locally or beef was available. I ordered seafood as well did Darla, and we settled into small talk leading up to Darla asking what upset me so when we started out from Crescent City to Eureka. She had sensed I was deeply troubled by something I saw but decided to let it be till now and it was time for me to come clean. She felt she needed an explanation to see what it was that was bothering me so. Also to know if she was interfering in something that may have an impact on her.
     I assured it was nothing and that I could handle it. I explained to her that the Road Warrior had been broken into a couple of times and we were at a loss to figure it out as it seems as if someone was looking for something, having stolen Ann’s computer both times. We didn’t know if it was robbery or what. We kind of thought it had to do with Dealing Dan the car salesman and owner of Dealing Dan’s, that was causing the trouble or Tom, Ann’s husband as he had an ax to grind with Ann for being left out of her fortune. Then again it could have been a couple acts of random violence, one maybe but two is more than coincidental. It seemed as if someone is after us. Then outside Oklahoma City after having the door fixed, I saw Leann or what I thought was her on a motorcycle and then again outside Crescent City, she showed up behind us. It was just way too weird that she would appear all the way across the country as if she was following us.
     Darla asked what it was I did to her and I said I don’t know except try and care for her , and she all she did was push me away. I told Darla I was clueless as to what she wanted as she made it clear to me she wanted no part of me when she wanted her things back in her classic text breakup. Meaning she choose to break up with me over a text message as she undoubtedly didn’t want me to talk to her personally. This all hurt me as well not being with her during her operation and recovery process. I had no choice as Leann wanted me to leave her alone, and now she is following me as I try to move on with my life, if it is her. Maybe it is my imagination and I am sure there are thousands of white motorcycles out there with women on them. So finding one following me down the road should be no strange occurrence.
      I told Darla of my plans though of adding even more security to the Road Warrior by adding security motion lights and that I have a closed circuit surveillance system that monitors the Road Warrior on a 24 hr. basis. As our food was served, Darla suggested I had better take her with me everywhere I go as she didn’t want anything to do with trouble from a crazy ex, or a disgruntled burglar. I assured her that I thought only the best of Leann and felt it really wasn’t her that was up to the burgling of the Road Warrior but I would gladly appreciate Darla’s company all the time, until I figured this all out. We ate and walked around the inn and up and down the main street of Eureka enjoying all the Victorian construction of houses in the area lending its charm to this seaside city.
       We returned to the Road Warrior and I showed Darla where I had the security system which she was aware of but didn’t know how to use. I hooked the Jeep back onto the rear of the Road Warrior and set off for our destination of Fortuna, California and the Fortuna RV Park along the Eel River basin outside of Fortuna. Our trip was quiet as Darla sat in the captain seat beside me in the front of the Road Warrior in shorts and a t-shirt, having changed into more comfortable clothes after returning to the Road Warrior. She reclined her chair and was almost flat as she looked out the window and soon fell fast asleep having ate and getting sleepy. She slept till I turned into the Fortuna RV Park and had to stop and talk to the park guide as to where my lot was. I had prearranged payment and my spot was being held as a reservation, and it was just minutes till I was there and set up. Having leveled the Road Warrior and unhooked the Jeep, and extended the awning. I returned inside to see Darla putting on a pair of tennis shoes asking me if I wanted to go for a walk.. I just drove over 150 miles and really just wanted to relax but relented and went for a walk with her around the RV Park. The towering redwoods were ever present as we ventured around. We talked of my carving and experience in trees as we walked along. The trees were humongous as their trunks in most cases were as wide as the Road Warrior was long.
     Seeing these huge trees made me long to carve, not live trees but possibly some dead stuff if I could find it. I couldn’t imagine why people would want to cut these massive giants in the first place. Most having lived at least 2000 years and being sown naturally when humankind was still in its infancy as California was there but not discovered by the white men but instead a closely guarded secret of local natives who had no interest in changing nature, instead relishing it. taking only what they needed to survive and leaving these huge beauties to live until white man invaded their Eden and chased them to the hinterlands while they plundered the resources. So goes the neighborhood in most of the U.S., as resources are transformed into tools of societal improvement as we provide houses and buildings made of wood and brick into the communities we have today.  
      We returned to the Road Warrior after our walk and settled into watching some TV and some local news and was made aware of the fact that due to dry conditions there was an active forest fire just north east of San Francisco and it was burning out of control. It was still over 60 miles away, but was going to impede our travel as it was crossing Highway 101 and the road was temporarily closed. We had planned to spend a couple of days here so by the time we were ready to move then the fire will have moved out of the area leaving behind a path of destruction but the road should be passable.
      Darla fell asleep on the couch beside me having cuddled up next to me while watching an old black and white movie on PBS. I was getting sleepy myself as I sat there and hated to, but woke Darla and asked if I could lie down on my lumpy couch bed with the bar in the middle of my back. I didn’t mention the lumpy part or the bar, but in reality I wasn’t too eager to sleep in this thing another night. Sitting in the couch was one thing and sleeping was another.
     Darla said she was sorry and asked if I would join her in the bedroom as she felt I was safe and we were both adults and she kinda liked snuggling up to a bear like me . Well a man can be pushed only so far and yet I could not let myself join her in the bedroom as I didn’t trust myself to just sleep beside her. I had Roman hands and I was a man. I felt that until I was sure of what she wanted as well me, maybe we had better continue with the arrangement we had. I was not to be trusted in bed alone with her and it was not because I was not an adult, but instead because I was one, a male one with feelings and desires and wants. And touching and caressing a pretty woman was not out of the realm of these wants. She told me it was my loss and that it required her acceptance to make anything happen. I told her it would drive me crazy as it is doing already. And that I just needed to take things slow as everything was happening to fast. Cuddling on the couch was ok and I never really minded as it is kind of a friend thing to do. But then again I always thought cuddling to be a pre cursor to sex also. I just never could get close to a woman I liked without wanting more. It is just a male thing I guess. Women must be wired different as it seems that they are content to just be close and not want more. Anyhow I told Darla that cuddling would be ok for now. She suggested just sitting there wrapped in my arms all night long.
     I laughed and shooed her to bed, again she told me it was my loss, and disappeared behind the bedroom door after saying goodnight and sweet dreams.  Instead as she disappeared behind that door and she stepped into my imagination as I slowly watched her undress in my mind and slip into an oversize t-shirt with her nipples hard and pushing against the fabric. Then in my mind I watched as she stretched out in the bed and rolled on to her side and curled her legs up and pushed her hands between her legs. It was then I had to shut my mind down , instead I imagined her putting curlers in her hair and spreading cream all over face and soon I fell asleep with that damn bar prodding me in my back and reminding why it isn’t such a good thing to be so good all the time.
   


     







No comments: