Tuesday, September 24, 2013

trip to sequoia - ch.45 cont.

Ch.45 (cont.)



    “Well I intend to get you up in that tree.” Lee said so that others could not hear our conversation.
       I said to Lee below my breath . “I don’t know if I can climb that tree like you and Ann  can.”
     “You don’t have to climb I have a winch remember I just have to get you in the harness and get the rope up into the tree and then start the winch and then we can hoist your dead ass up into the tree. Come on Guy it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, to be able to go up and do some carving in one of the largest trees on earth. When will you ever have this chance again? Also you will be saving one of the largest trees on earth. If we do nothing then it may cause permanent damage to the tree, or in the course of seven hours will be more damaged than it is now. I can probably do it by myself, but would rather have you and your expertise with trees up there. You know more than I do. You only have to be about 170 feet off the ground and I will have one regular line and a safety line on you. In case something happens that won’t allow you to fall more than ten feet at the most.”
      “Well Lee to say the least I never thought I would ever be climbing and the idea of climbing into the largest tree on earth does sound appealing and it will probably be a once in a lifetime event for sure,  so I guess I should try but to say the least you are going to be pushing me to the limits.” I said as I smiled back at him.
     “If anything happens to you or you want to back out just let me know.” Lee said. I will have you back on the ground in no time. If nothing else you can show me how much to remove I will be happy and can get the job done.” Lee said .
     “Ok.” I said “Let’s do it. “
     And with that Lee took out the tennis ball launcher and loaded the launcher with a tennis ball and powered up the air compressor off the battery and was soon up to full pressure and Lee aimed  the tennis ball launcher at the limb above and to the side of where the fire was smoldering. It was necessary to go higher and to the side to avoid burning the ropes we would be climbing on as well to be able to suspend ourselves midair while running the chainsaws and clearing away the smoldering debris and do the cleanup work to allow healthy healing of where the limb was originally ripped from. His first shot was low an so Lee added more pressure to the launcher and this time was successful in getting the tennis ball and the attached line over the limb and soon the ball and line was attached to a climbing rope and we soon had our ropes slung into the General Sherman’s branches . The closer I came to climbing this giant the more scared I became. I looked at the base of this tree and it was nearly a 100 feet across and it was 165 feet to the first limb. A little over half a football field to the first limb, and still the tree was 50 feet across at this point. The limb that had fallen was 4 feet in diameter and would have easily killed someone if they had been below the limb  when it had fallen.
      Lee had to take to take two climbing ropes and put them together to get enough length to be able to use the winch we had brought along. It was a capstan winch which worked by the principle of wrapping a rope around the round drum a couple of times  then this would give you a mechanical advantage enough to lift my dead ass into the General Sherman as Lee called it. Lee was showing one of the fireman how to use the winch as  Ann helped me readjust her harness  to me  and was telling me how to lock on the safety rope to assure I wouldn’t drop to the ground. You only have one chance to get this right when climbing a tree of this size. A camera was fitted on my helmet and a live video feed was going to be broadcast as we were doing the work.  The arborist who was supposed to be here would get a live feed to his laptop as we did the work. This way he could give us his input also and this helped ease the park director’s mind. We tightened up the rope on my harness and soon I was up in the air. Lee was bringing up the chainsaws with him and I was supposed to get to the area where the fire was smoldering and suspend myself there after locking in on the safety line, and just wait for Lee to get to the same area. We had ascenders but to use the ascenders in a tree this size would take forever and we really just wanted to get up and see what was going on with the smoldering fire by the fastest available means and the winch was working fine.
      They had attempted earlier to douse the fire with water dropped from a helicopter and this failed to snuff out the fire so what we were doing may be the last attempt to try and save the tree and I only hoped it would work . Twenty feet into the air and people were waving at me as if I was on a lunar mission and needed to save the world. At forty feet the people were beginning to get smaller as I would look down at where I came from.  At eighty feet it was only then the trees real majesty  was beginning to take shape as the people below became insignificant and it was then I realized that up here it was only me and the General Sherman . You don’t fully understand how something this big could have survived this long. At hundred and twenty feet I was beginning to fully appreciate the engineering of the ropes that held me in place as I was suspended in the air. To say the least I was scared shit less and yet I was calm in the face of danger and looked forward to the task ahead of me. I was beginning to see the smoldering where the limb was attached and had to move around the tree some in order to avoid getting the ropes into the smoldering fire. I quit looking down.  I had to concentrate on what I was doing. I had no time for fear. We had a daunting task ahead of us as the closer to the fire I came I saw that it was worse than I thought.
       I was perhaps ten foot below and to the right of the smoldering fire and saw that an accumulation of limbs and debris was fueling the fire. A voice crackled over the head set as I began talking to the park director as to the status of the fire in the tree. It looked as if it started in the debris, but was now eating into the heart of the tree as the areas where the limb was torn out had become pithy which is where the wood rots slowly and is dry and vulnerable to fire more readily. We would need to remove the debris and then carve the pithy part of the decayed wood out and then burnish the area with fire sealing the wood and finally ending with a tar like substance specifically designed to seal the area preventing something like this from happening again. As I came face to face with the area I stopped the ascent by speaking through my headset to the park director on the ground. I looked out from where I was and it was awesome to be able to view the world from such a hefty loft. Birds were sitting in the limbs of other sequoias around and were viewing me with suspicious eyes as I managed to tie off on the safety line.
    It would require total failure of both climbing ropes and the harness to allow me to hit the ground. Looking down from up her I realized I would probably die from hitting the trunk of the tree before ever hitting the ground. Anyway I go I would be a goner.
        Lee was next to come up and soon he too was up to my level and we sat there, suspended in our harnesses assessing the smoldering and developing a plan of action. I started grabbing the debris and sending it to the ground. Soon I had most of the fire out. Then we focused our attention on the pithy wood that surrounded the fire, as it was burning into the tree. Lee had brought up two of our carving chainsaws and soon we had these fired up and were working away at the soft wood that surrounded the glowing embers at times.  I  would carve directly into the fiery mess and soon al traces of the fire was out but we still had a large area of where the limb was attached and after consulting with the arborist through our video link ,and also with the park director we agreed to remove all this pithy  wood and clean up the scarred and ragged wood leaving a clean face to that area where the limb was attached. Lee and I readjusted our harness and was soon sawing our way down through that area removing all the jagged hunks where the limb was once attached. We had A line attached to the ground and soon as we needed the chainsaws fueled we would send them down and Ann would fill them up and send them back to us. We also had a basket sent up for debris which we attached to the lower reaches of the limb to avoid dropping hunks of wood from the tree. I finally managed the courage to look down when sending the chainsaws down and saw Darla in the distance taking pictures of us. A large crowd had gathered at the base of the tree and when we sent the report down that we had cleared the last of the burning embers out of the tree and the fire was officially out we could hear the cheers from the crowd from our perch high above.
     At times the wind would blow and you would feel the giant tree move slowly and sway gently as it took a pretty good wind to even try and move this giant. I would sit in the seat of my harness and push my feet away from the tree and soon I became quite adept at moving around up there. Lee looked at me and said.
     ”Kind of like this old man don’t you?” I just nodded and continued working.
      We were at it for almost a couple of hours and soon we had the whole area taken down to good hard dry wood and we had it pretty well smoothed over when Lee looked at me and motioned for me to turn off the video and audio feed to the ground . I wondered what he was up to and as I turned the feeds off and sat there suspended and soon he let me into  his plan. Before burnishing the wood he wanted me to carve a happy face into the area where the limb was. Not enough to be seen from below but enough for us to know and laugh about for years to come .
 I started the chainsaw and with all the skill I could muster I began carving a huge happy face into the side of the tree. It wouldn’t hurt the tree after all it was burning when we got here and the happy face would have no protruding obstacles to slow the fall of the debris.
      I worked quickly and soon we were sending down for the propane tank to burnish the happy face. I torched the side of the tree and soon the whole area was covered with black soot. We wire brushed out the feature of the happy face and turned the camera back on and took only close-ups of the whole happy face sculpture. This way only Lee and I would be able to tell it was there. When viewed from the ground it was doubtful that anyone could tell what we did and we felt that was best. Soon we were finished after four hours of hanging in the General Sherman we were final being lowered to the ground. I looked up into the tree before descending and realized I was a little less than halfway into the tree at that point and I just took a moment to absorb all I was seeing. This truly had been the fulfillment of a dream Leann and I had. Actually it was more than the dream and beyond my comprehension that I would be able to do what I did in a tree so famous. As I came down the cheers and well wishes from the crowd went up and news crews were scrambling and pushing park visitors out of the way I looked out into the crowd and thought I saw Leann. I looked again as I was slowly being lowered and yes it was her. Damn it.
    I waved to her and as she saw my wave looked at me and smiled and waved and kind of saluted me, then walked off alone up the path back to the Waksuchi Lodge, I couldn’t believe it was her all along and she must have been tailing me I looked as I was still being lowered and there was Darla who had a big broad smile on her face as I came closer to the ground no doubt evidently proud of my accomplishment.
     What should I do?  Chase after Leann or stay and enjoy the moment with Darla who by no fault of her own has been with me and has taken time to try and make things work between us. I guess it was a no brainer as I had no choice but to stay and enjoy the moment with Darla as throngs of well-wishers were soon patting me on the back and telling me what a good job I had done. We had interviews with Lee and me where we described what it was like to save the largest tree on the planet. And I took the liberty to encourage more tree planting as a way to avoid global warming.  The park director encouraged us to have dinner on the house at the Waksuchi Lodge and then Lee and Ann asked him if it would be all right if they could climb up into some of the other sequoias and the director said he was not supposed to allow it, but since we did what we did for the General Sherman he saw no reason why we shouldn’t be allowed. He offered to pay us for our services and Lee and I declined saying it was a privilege to be able to help out. We laughed and talked over the event on our way to the lodge. I saw no trace of Leann again. In ways I think she knew I had moved on and yet though I felt as if we were still connected somewhat but she also knew that she needed to remain out of my life. To let me find the happiness of company I now sought in Darla, and to see where this path will go.


     
    
        

    

No comments: