Monday, September 23, 2013

trip to sequoia -ch.45 he be smoking

Ch.45
He be smoking


      Reports of the forest fire were sketchy as the park service didn’t want anyone to know the full extent of the damage of the fire that swept through the forest. In fact I think they were still assessing the damage. We had finished eating breakfast and turned to the TV to see if we could hear a news report or anything about the extent of the damage. Fire crews would come through our area of the park to assess even more remote areas and all they would say to anyone in the campground is that it isn’t safe to go anywhere and that if it became necessary they would issue an evacuation command. No such order was ever issued and by noon they said the last of the mop up operations were under way.
      This was all centralized in the upper reaches of the park and was concentrated around the General Sherman tree. It seems at the height of the fire, embers of hot coals became airborne and were lodged in the top of the General Sherman Tree where a limb of about four to five foot in diameter was ripped out by a storm several years ago and the ragged edges of the severed limb on the tree became a perfect nesting place for those embers to land and to catch fire. With plenty of fuel to feed the fire in terms of dry rotted split wood the General Sherman Tree was in danger of being caused severe and permanent damage. Visitors were allowed to view the tree and news reporters and throngs of people were rushing to the scene. A call for an arborist went out and the nearest with any kind with climbing experience was eight hours away.
    We too, all piled in the Jeep and the Ford Escape and rushed up the mountain upon hearing the news. we came this far to see the General Sherman tree and I know I was personally hoping that I would  be able to finally view the tree in person . But his isn’t quite how I planned to see it though. But after the trip and the trouble I had in getting this far it would seem only ironic that this tree would stand for thirty five hundred years just waiting for the day I finally make it to see it and then just that quick through spontaneous combustion would soon become the World’s largest towering inferno. We were beside ourselves as we hurried to the top of the mountain. We pulled into Waksuchi lodge parking lot and was instantly confronted by an army of news reporters who apparently recognizing the big scoop, realized that this is the place to be. News reporters were standing in front of the lodge and were interviewing park officials. Then they would focus their attention down the trails to where the General Sherman was standing as the only solitary tree in the forest to sustain any damage.
   We followed the reporters down the trail, and soon was swept up in the news events as one reporter after another is giving their live take of the damage. I had brought a pair of field glasses and was taking a close look at the damage which to me wasn’t that severe yet as it was just smoldering on some old dry bedding. Once it got to the live green heart wood it would probably snuff itself out, and that these reporters and the park officials were seeing this as a media event.
 No doubt the longer it would burn the greater the likelihood of the damage. I looked at Lee and our group which included Ann, Darla and Deb and said .
     “From the looks of the fire it is small and can be easily contained and should cause no permanent damage to the tree the sooner the fire is abated.” I said.
     Lee looked at it also and said. “Too bad we left our climbing equipment at the other campsite. You and I could have climbed up there and put that out with the saws.” He said as he was looking through the field glasses I had and commenting.
    This was picked up by one of the reporters who overheard our conversation and asked just how we would go about doing that as it may have been of interest to him s a news story.
   I explained that it was necessary to trim all the excess old ripped and torn wood from where the limb was previously attached and trim that area down with the chainsaw eliminating any chance of the fire spreading. This would also preserve the tree for the future as we could burnish again with fire and this would create a hard surface where embers in the case of a fire again, would not lay and would be shed off. Also this would seal that area where the branch was to disease also,
     The reporter said. “Too bad you can’t get up here.”
     Lee said.  “But yes we can. We had planned on climbing these trees and had taken classes as well as made numerous climbs and have our equipment along. Guy here has been an excellent chainsaw carver all his life and I understands trees much more than anyone else here, I would bet.”
     I looked at Lee incredulously and said, “Yes Lee but I am not a certified arborist.”
     The reporter then asked how much more damage we could expect to the tree if the fire as unabated.
    I looked through the field glasses and said “I don’t know but I am sure it is not doing the General Sherman tree any good sitting down here doing nothing while waiting on an arborist the park service thinks will be the answer. I would be glad to devote any time to the project as I hate to see anything happen to this tree.”
      I looked at the young reporter with the round sunglasses who reminded me of a young John Lennon and noticed his cameraman had been taping our conversation all along. The red light was on, on his camera. Soon both the reporter and the cameraman were hustling back up the trail and soon returned with the Director of the park and again he asked me wanted me to explain how I would go about stopping the smoldering. I told him I would just use the chainsaw first to attack those areas where there was fire and send them to the ground then I would probably want to dress up the whole area with a chainsaw where the limb was tore out to assure it wouldn’t happen again. And maybe apply some sort of a tree dressing according to the arborist’s suggestions as we could work in conjunction with them.
    Then they asked me if I personally had any climbing experience. Lee butted in and said. “Lots as  I had taught lee and Ann everything I knew about climbing.”
     I looked at Lee and gave him a scowl but I knew what he was up to. So did Ann and our group.
     A chance to climb the largest tree on earth and save it through me and my experience.
The idea wasn’t foreign to me now and I had entertained that thought at times within the last hour of sizing up the situation but doubted if we would ever be given a chance to do this.
    The director said to us, any effort to save the tree is better than none. It will be eight hours or now seven till the arborist gets here. We need to do something where is your equipment and we explained we had it all stored in the Road Warrior. A call was placed to the Fire Chief  and soon Lee and I were in a fire truck careening down the mountain with sirens blaring and lights flashing. As we pulled up to the Road Warrior, Lee and I hurried and transferred all of our equipment including our chainsaw carving equipment into the fire truck and hurried back to the top of the mountain again.
    We returned to a crowd of well-wishers that was growing bigger by the moment. Tape was stretched from tree to tree giving Lee and I plenty of room to work. Lee looked at me and said.
      “I hope you are not afraid of heights?”
      I laughed nervously and said to him, “ No not really just afraid of you and what you will get me into next.” (to be cont.)



     

     

No comments: