Wednesday, September 18, 2013

trip to sequoia - ch. 43 - where there is smoke there is fire.

Ch. 43
Where There Is Smoke There is Fire


    Finally I received the call over my cell saying the Road Warrior was done. Darla and I were able to check out of the hotel and stopped at Enterprise Car rental and picked up a salesman to return the rental car and soon we were at Big Dan’s RV outlet and there was the Road Warrior all shined up and ready to go. Darla and I unloaded the luggage and as I approached the Road Warrior and clicked the keys to unlock the door, the step came out to greet us on command. What an amazing invention I said to myself. Thank god that is still working, I say to myself as load our luggage inside.
     The Service Manager appeared and soon we were all checked out with a bill for fifteen thousand in repairs which is almost the cost for a new cheap car, I thought to myself. I handed it to Darla who produced a credit card and soon we were ready to go. I never owned a credit card with that much of a credit balance and if I had I am sure I would have screwed it up, so this kind of dealing was all new to me. In fact since I left Ohio I have been on a whirlwind of high financing thanks to Ann and Darla that I have never experienced before. I have money in my bank account , more than enough to last my lifetime and leave me comfortable , and now I can travel the country doing what want , and yet I long to be back home and have my dog Babe go with me.
   This I will do after I finish my trip and my immediate obligation to Ann and Lee and Darla also. That is to make it to the Sequoia National park and the General Sherman tree at noon on Labor Day. We had been receiving reports of more fires in the area of the Sequoia National Park.  
     Not wanting to go through another firestorm with Darla I asked if our route was open to Sequoia after I started heading the Road Warrior out of town to our final destination. We only had a couple of days to Labor Day and needed to get there. Lee and Ann was already there according to Darla and were staying at a lodge there.
      They had encountered no problems with fires on their trip there but conditions change rapidly and Darla was checking out our route on the computer as we decided to head south through San Jose and Fresno across the Central Valley headed for the Sierra Nevada Mountains. there is no chance of fires along the route through Fresno as it mostly farmland that is utilized at hundred percent of its potential till it encounters a city where gradual urban creep replaces farmland with housing developments as an ample water supply and somewhat of rural life offers homeowners their chance at owning a little piece of earth that they can call their own, much the same as anywhere else in the United States. Water from the mountains charges the aquifers and the competition between home owners and agriculture pit one against the other in competition for this vital resource, which with the drought raises the stakes higher. Without crops one can’t eat. But at same  time one cannot survive just on water , if the crops wither and die due to lack of water it raises the cost of securing food from outside sources to replace the food lost from locally grown sources. There is a fine line being drawn in the sand, so to speak when it comes to living in this area as well as in the area of the San Fernando Valley in California as both areas struggle to find a way to live harmoniously during drought events which happen more frequently.
     Now the drought is starting to threaten the mountainous areas of the Sierra Nevada Mountains where the majority of the water is coming from, and where ample water supplies, temperatures and humidity created the ideal conditions that allowed the massive Sequoia to survive for 3500 years. But even now they’re threatened as weather patterns are changing creating drought conditions as global warming now is encroaching on these massive giants. Tinderbox conditions are being created in these forests and wild fires are beginning to now threaten these giants. There is no immediate solution to the problem except hope that they can survive.
    As Darla and I head on toward Fresno we see farming areas where it is ditch to ditch farming and massive irrigation techniques being employed to turn desert areas into farm land which wouldn’t exist normally under average conditions. This widespread use of irrigation requires enormous usage of resources of water. The alternative of using the land for building also requires an enormous use of resources of water to provide families with water for irrigation of lawns and bathing and etc.. One is just as bad as the other. The land is overpriced and would be of no functional use without a water source to back it up and that is strained under normal conditions, let alone under drought conditions. 
    Agreeably with water, excellent quality crops could be produced but can this be done in other parts of the country and the answer is yes it can. Without a water source from the mountains this area will dry up quick and farming and the people will move to greener pastures so to speak. This whole area is threated especially by global warming. Much the same as our coastal areas as ocean levels rise due to ice melt from our polar caps.
    Our glaciers are melting and Greenland will see soon a twenty five percent reduction in size as massive ice sheets have melted. Global warming is upon us threatening those things we hold dear and it is thanks to humans we now threaten every living creature on this planet. If I sound like a broken record playing the same tune over and over again then pay attention to those subtle changes in your own environment as you find the summers hotter than you have ever remembered and violent storms become the norm as these are all part of the cause and effect of global warming.
    Darla and I decided to camp at the base of the Sierra Nevada’s leaving the final climb into the mountains the next day and finally into the Sequoia National Park. Mile after mile of farmland stretched out before us and just before night fall we pulled into Low Water , California and the Lake Kaweah region where we found the Lake Kaweah RV club and to  spend the night before climbing up into the mountains. This area is normally an arid region of desert but thanks to irrigation techniques it allows agriculture and housing interests to flourish together.
     Darla and I soon had the Road Warrior set up in the park and I cooked us up a nice dinner of spiced turkey sausages and green peppers served over a bed of rice Darla prepared. We had a nice dinner as Darla enjoyed a glass of California wine from a winery we visited on our way here. As the sun sank low we enjoyed smoking a doobie and relaxing. I was tired and finally I was able to share the bed in the bedroom with Darla as I was no longer confined to the damn sofa bed with the bar stuck in the middle of my back and I slept good as I crooked Darla’s body under my arm and it felt good having encouraged her to shed the flannel and lay naked next to me.
   
  
   
     

     

No comments: